July 25, 2014 by Didi Korcheva
Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO of BroadBand TV Corp., came to Vancouver from Iran as a teenager. The company she built is now a leader in digital entertainment and technology and was named in 2012 the Most Innovative Company in BC. Read the full article in Forbes.
July 17, 2014 by Didi Korcheva
Chinese language advertising signs have, once again, sparked debate in metro Vancouver. Read more about this issue in The Province.
July 13, 2014 by Didi Korcheva
A report by the Vancouver Sun suggests that children of immigrants in Vancouver, enrolled in ESL programs, are actually performing much better than previously thought. Read more about the report and check out the interactive school map where you can find out the proportion of ESL students at individuals schools.
July 11, 2014 by Didi Korcheva
The Institute for Diaspora Research and Engagement at Simon Fraser University and Il Centro, the Italian Cultural Centre of Vancouver, have teamed up to explore the formation and meaning of identity among third generation Italian-Canadians in Vancouver, and the future role of ethnically based community centres, such as Il Centro. If your grandparents immigrated to Canada from Italy and you wish to participate in the online survey, follow this link.
July 3, 2014 by Didi Korcheva
Start a Small Business for Newcomers: Tuesday, July 15th from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Presenter: Susan Fugman, a Certified Financial Planner of G&F Credit Union, will cover how to:
– prepare a business plan
– set up a small business
– apply for a business license
Registraton is required for this free workshop. Register online at mosaicbc.com/settlement-workshops-registration-form or contact Angel Tse at (604) 877-8606 ext. 236 or email email@example.com
ESL Conversation Circle Mondays, July 14 to August 25 (no session on August 4)
1:30 pm to 2:30 pm
Practice your English and meet people in a friendly, relaxed environment at the library. Each week a librarian will lead a discussion on a variety of everyday topics. Adult learners must have some knowledge of English to participate in group conversations. There will be no session on August 4.This is a free, drop-in program with no registration required.
New to Canada? – Orientation Session for New Immigrants – a free workshop to help newcomers adapt in Canada. The workshop will cover the following topics:
– BC Health Services, BC service card and assistance to families with low income
– Child tax benefits
– Free English classes for new immigrants
– Driver license, public transit and Compass Card
– Grade 1-12 and post education
– Social Insurance Number (SIN) and employment programs.
Registration is required. To register, go to www.mosaicbc.com/settlement-workshops-registration-form, or contact Angel Tse at (604) 877-8606 ext. 236 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
June 26, 2014 by Didi Korcheva
A number of unlicensed dentists recently made the news, which highlights the problem of newcomers without dental coverage having to resort to the services of non-regulated professionals. Read more in the Vancouver Sun.
June 21, 2014 by Didi Korcheva
A project of the Immigrant Services Society of BC (ISS of BC), the “Welcome House Centre” will be “the first facility of its kind in the world: a fully integrated and coordinated regional service hub that addresses the immediate needs of refugees and immigrants” according to the ISS of BC.
Located on Victoria Drive, it will feature:
- 28 units (160-200 beds) of first-stage and second-stage housing in various configurations that accommodate singles and families of up to 16 members.
- A regional primary health care clinic.
- A refugee trauma support and treatment centre for both adults and children.
- Child minding space, including an outdoor playground and family area.
- An immigrant refugee youth drop-in space.
- A food bank.
- A community kitchen and multiple meeting spaces.
- A law clinic space.
- First language settlement support staff offices.
- A teaching facility linked to several post-secondary institutions.
- ISS of BC corporate service offices.