June 21, 2014 by Didi Korcheva
A project of the Immigrant Services Society of BC (ISS of BC), the “Welcome House Centre” will be “the first facility of its kind in the world: a fully integrated and coordinated regional service hub that addresses the immediate needs of refugees and immigrants” according to the ISS of BC.
Located on Victoria Drive, it will feature:
- 28 units (160-200 beds) of first-stage and second-stage housing in various configurations that accommodate singles and families of up to 16 members.
- A regional primary health care clinic.
- A refugee trauma support and treatment centre for both adults and children.
- Child minding space, including an outdoor playground and family area.
- An immigrant refugee youth drop-in space.
- A food bank.
- A community kitchen and multiple meeting spaces.
- A law clinic space.
- First language settlement support staff offices.
- A teaching facility linked to several post-secondary institutions.
- ISS of BC corporate service offices.